- 4-8 Large peppers washed, halved and de-seeded
- 1 pound of spicy pork sausage
- ½ cup of quinoa and/or long grain rice
- 1 full cup of chopped kale or spinach
- 4 spring onions or one small sweet onion & 3 garlic cloves chopped
- Extra virgin olive oil for sautéing the onions, rice & sausage
- 1 cup of cream & ½ cup of water or low sodium chicken broth.
- 1 tablespoon of our Green Baklouti Chili Olive Oil
- 1 cup of grated cheeses ( i.e. Asiago, mozzarella, &
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Chop up your onions, garlic and separate your sausage sauté all until done;
- Drain off the fat. Add all your ingredients back into to your skillet and add in your long grain rice, quinoa and kale. Add in 1 tablespoon of our Baklouti extra virgin olive oil (green chili) & sauté until your quinoa & rice are toasted. Add in1 cup of cream & ½ cup of water or for a lighter version chicken or vegetable broth;
- Bring all to a rolling boil (you may need a little more liquid depending upon the absorption of the quinoa and rice, reduce the heat, place a lid on top of your skillet and set to the side until cool enough to fill the peppers by hand;
- Blister those peppers on high heat. Your goal is to NOT cook them, but to blister them to bring out their natural sweetness. They should stay firm for filling and then topping off with cheese. Roast them in the oven just long enough to brown the cheese.
Enjoy this wonderful appetizer. 35-40 min. Easy!!