- 6-8 large red tomatoes halved (will make enough for a small dinner party)
- 3 tablespoons Ultra Premium Extra Virgin olive oil (high Poly=Green, spicy & Grassy) Or your favorite flavor infused
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup pesto, store-bought or homemade
- 1/2 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese or Mascarpone
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Core the tomatoes and then slice them across (not through the stem) in 1/2 inch-thick slices. Arrange the slices in a single layer on a sheet pan. Drizzle the tomatoes with the ultra premium olive oil and sprinkle with the oregano, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and the pepper. Bake the tomatoes for 10 minutes. Remove them from the oven, spread each slice with pesto, and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese. Return the tomatoes to the oven, lower heat to 350 and continue baking for 7 to 10 minutes, until the Parmesan or Mascarpone is melted and begins to brown. Using a flat metal spatula put the tomatoes on a serving platter, sprinkle with extra salt, and serve hot, warm, or at room temperature. I just could not wait for the REAL garden tomatoes to be here. You can use green tomatoes too. Try coring some of the tomato halves out and adding into the mixture mascarpone with fresh dill, garlic, chopped mushrooms and chopped scallions. Fill back into the halves and melt away. ENJOY!!!! 25 MIN.