- 8 lasagna noodles, uncooked
- 14 oz freshly shredded, low-moisture part skim Mozzarella cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup Ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup freshly, finely shredded Parmesan cheese (about 1 1/4 oz)
- ground black pepper
- 3 – 4 medium Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced (about 1/6 inch thick slices)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil, plus more for garnish.
- Add splashes of your favorite aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup marinara sauce (recipe follows)
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil high polyphenol or Tuscan
- 1/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- ¼ tblsp. Italian Herbs
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook pasta according to directions listed on package to al dente. Drain pasta (DO NOT rinse with water) and align lasagna noodles in a single layer on a large sheet of parchment or wax paper.
For filling, in a large mixing bowl, whisk together olive oil, ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese. Mix in 12 oz. of the Mozzarella cheese and season with black pepper to taste (I wouldn’t recommend seasoning with salt just because the cheeses already have plenty of salt).
Place 1/4 cup of the cheese mixture over each lasagna noodle and spread into an even layer, going from one end of the lasagna to the other. Align 4 thin tomato slices over cheese mixture then sprinkle fresh basil over top. Snugly roll lasagna noodles to opposite end. Spread about 1/4 cup pasta sauce in the bottom of an 11 x 7 inch baking dish. Align lasagna roll ups, seam side down in dish. Top each roll up with about 2 Tbsp of the pasta sauce (covering edges of pasta so they don’t dry out while baking). Sprinkle top with remaining 2 oz. shredded Mozzarella. Bake in preheated oven 30 minutes. Remove from oven, plate pasta and garnish with plenty of basil & splashes of your favorite aged balsamic vinegar.
Simple Marinara Sauce:
Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Add onions to hot oil and saute about 3 minutes until soft, adding garlic & herbs during last minute of sauteing. Pour in crushed tomatoes and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring mixture just to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and allow sauce to cook for about 20-25min.