Ingredients: (Yields 8 cups)
- Enough Extra Virgin olive oil to sauté your herbs
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped
- 1 Parmigiano Reggiano rind
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon whole black or white peppercorns
- 1/2 parsley bunch, stems and leaves
Directions: (This is Easy!)
- Heat 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large soup pot. When hot, add the onion, garlic, and fennel. Cook over moderate heat until the vegetables have softened and are beginning to brown. The more caramelized the vegetables are, the deeper the flavor of your broth will be.
- Add 2 quarts of water and the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a simmer and simmer for at least one hour, more if you have time. Strain the broth before use or just remove the rind.
Here are five ways to use Parmesan broth:
- Chicken or Turkey, plus any other vegetable-based soups or stews
- Pots of beans. Parmesan broth goes especially well with white beans and greens, like escarole or kale.
- Risotto-so creamy you will love it and won’t get enough
- Braising, from vegetables to chicken legs to short ribs
- Stuffing with plenty of fresh herbs